What date is Giving Tuesday 2023?
Giving Tuesday is on Tuesday 28 November 2023.
What is Giving Tuesday?
Giving Tuesday is a global generosity movement, that celebrates and encourages doing good. Giving Tuesday is all about the different ways you can give, you can:
- Volunteer your time
- Give some money
- Campaign for something
- Share your skills
- Fundraise for something
- Donate goods
- Buy something from a charity shop
You can do your something good on Giving Tuesday, you can do it before or after the day for Giving Tuesday, or you can use Giving Tuesday to kickstart your own personal generosity movement by sharing why you are #ProudToGive, and why your audience should be too.
Giving Tuesday originated in the US as a day to refocus attention following the commercialism of Black Friday and Cyber Monday. It is held the Tuesday after Thanksgiving
Be loud and proud
We give year-round, but Giving Tuesday is a joyous, worldwide ritual, and one to be proud of. Every charity, business, employer, donor and volunteer can get involved and share their experiences of giving, hopefully encouraging others to do so in the process. For example:
- As a Charity: “For #GivingTuesday we want to say thank you and how proud we are of our supporters who help us (INSERT YOUR CHARITY’S MISSION).”
- As a business: “We are so proud of our employees who give over £X a year in payroll giving. So this #GivingTuesday we will show we are #ProudToGive by (INSERT INTENDED ACTION).”
- As a supporter “I feel privileged to be able to give my time to the charity that (INSERT REASON TO BE PROUD). Please give what you can this #GivingTuesday #ProudToGive
How can Giving Tuesday benefit my organisation?
Giving Tuesday can support your organisation’s activities by building on the strength of a global movement to increase exposure and build support for your organisation’s philanthropic activities, especially during the holiday giving season.
The Giving Tuesday team will provide resources created by industry experts that can help you plan a successful Giving Tuesday campaign and will share digital collateral that you can use to draw attention, support, and funds to your cause.
Your organisation will have the opportunity to join hundreds of thousands of organisations around the world to enhance the philanthropic sector as a whole; just as the retail world has benefitted from coordinating national shopping days across many brands and platforms, Giving Tuesday will do the same for giving.
Who can participate?
Everyone! Giving Tuesday has been built by a broad coalition of partners, including individuals, families, nonprofits, schools, religious organisations, small businesses and corporations.
What can my organisation do to be involved in Giving Tuesday?
Interested in participating? It’s easy! We ask that partners use Giving Tuesday as an opportunity to celebrate and incentivise giving (e.g. donations, volunteering, advocacy, acts of kindness) in their communities. Check out the ideas <link to activity matrix> & examples <link to case studies> on our website for some inspiration.
Are there any costs to participate in Giving Tuesday?
No! Giving Tuesday is a free and open movement to encourage giving. All of our resources are available for free through our website.
Can organisations get donations through the Giving Tuesday website?
No. Giving Tuesday is a movement. We are not an organisation and do not accept or distribute donations. All donations need to be made through partner websites. Official partners are responsible for their own fundraising initiatives.
Can my organisation use the Giving Tuesday logo?
Yes! You are welcome to use our logo to help promote your Giving Tuesday campaign. You can download logos from the website <link to website>
How can I help spread the word on social media?
- Talk about giving using the hashtag #GivingTuesday
- Use the hashtag to talk about how you are giving and why
- Like us on Facebook — https://www.facebook.com/givingtuesdayuk/
- Follow us on Twitter https://twitter.com/givingtuesdayuk @givingtuesdayuk and use the #GivingTuesday hashtag
- Instagram — https://www.instagram.com/givingtuesdayuk/ @givingtuesdayuk
- Share our social media channels in your organisational and personal social networks
- Announce your participation in Giving Tuesday to your networks and email lists